Our Vision for God’s church here in 2018 is to shine His Light through us both while in this building, the community, and the Valley! We will accomplish this by following the principles He demonstrated in Acts 2:41-47. These include:
• Accept God’s message (v.41) – accept, receive without reservation
• Be Baptized (v.41) – by immersion, demonstration of a personal relationship with God
• Be Added to the Local Assembly (v.41) – church membership with purposes:
• Continually devoted to Teaching (v.42) – steadfastly attentive, adhered to in daily practice. (Jas. 1:22-25)
• Continually devoted to Followship (v.42) – associating with, participating with, communing with God and those in the local church. (Heb. 10:25)
• Continually devoted to Break of Bread (v.42) – two meanings, both a regular practice in the early. Eating meals together as a local group of believers and regularly observing the “Lord’s Supper” as He directed. (1 Cor. 11:23-30)(v.26)
• Continually devoted to Prayer (v.42) – Addressing God as a group of believers as opposed to individual praying. (Jas. 5:16)
• Filled with awe (v.43) – worshipped/praised God not people for miracles and God’s authenticating His cause through His leaders and people. (Matt. 5:16)
• Were together/had everything in common (v.44) – unity not only in belief but demonstrated it through sharing whatever they had with each other. (v.45 – internally and externally)
• Continued to meet together (v.46) – Not just at the Temple (their church). Their passion and unity was not confined to their “day of worship”. It continued by:
• Taking meals together – believers prefer the company of believers. (Amos 3:3; 2 Cor. 6:14)
• Being Glad together – having a good time (fun) throughout the week. (Deut. 12:7; Eccl. 8:5)
• Being Sincere with each other – simple, honest (Prov. 27:17)
• Praising God (v.47) – singing, honoring, making vows to God
• Having favor with people (v.47) – good will, thanks, kind words from the local community just like Jesus. (Lk. 2:52)
• The Lord adds to their number (v.47) – If the above mentioned purposes are readily demonstrated by all in the church, Jesus adds people with a purpose. (Matt. 16:18)
41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles.
44 All the believers were together and had everything in common.
45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.
46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,
47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
1 Corinthians 11:26
For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
There, in the presence of the Lord your God, you and your families shall eat and shall rejoice in everything you have put your hand to, because the Lord your God has blessed you.
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.
And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.